[hcflinux] HCF USB Modem

John Spray jcs116 at york.ac.uk
Tue Jul 15 21:41:56 EDT 2003

My apologies, I did not look closely enough to see that those drivers
were only for ppc.

I now quote from the FAQ:

"""
*I have a USB HCF modem. Why don't you provide an x86 version of the
hcfusbmodem package?*

Unfortunately the hcfusbmodem driver only supports the Cadmus2 chipset
internally used by Apple in later generation PowerPC desktop and
notebook machines. Most if not all external USB HCF modems on the market
use an earlier chipset (Cadmus1), which requires too many workarounds
and excessive polling by the CPU to be well supported under Linux.
"""

Relatively cheap external (serial) modems are available which will serve
you well under many operating systems.  External USB devices are
fetching decent prices on ebay.  I personally purchased a serial modem
in addition to my controllerless devices, and have found it to be quite
refreshing (it just works!).

John Spray