[hcflinux] Debian - Installation and hcfpciconfig successful, but modem does nothing

Chris Austin Chris at SpeakableLogic.com
Tue Aug 26 22:55:30 EDT 2003

Hi,

> even though our driver should work with some 2.2 kernels, we strongly
> recommend to use a 2.4 kernel. Is it possible for you to try a 2.4 kernel
> and recompile the drivers?

I've now done this, and have successfully connected to the
Internet from Linux many times on two separate days,
through the ISP UK Online, and downloaded many
web pages in both Konqueror and Mozilla, and also
received email in KMail.  Thanks very much for the
driver and the advice.

Unfortunately, since the second "successful" day, which
was over a week ago, I have been unable to connect
successfully to ukonline due to a "bad crc" fault,
although there is no problem connecting to them in
Windows.  This "bad crc" fault typically occurred a
couple of times before I successfully connected even
on the two "successful" days, but now it just occurs
over and over again, and I never get a connection.  I
know it's not a fault with the ISP, because I have
sometimes alternated between Windows and Linux,
and always successfully connected in Windows.

Here is a record of a typical session, from a pen and
paper record of the screen display:

--> WVDial:  Internet dialer version 1.53
HCF ASIC ID: 85
HCF DATAPUMP PART: '74' REV: 'BA'
--> Initializing modem
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized
--> Waiting for carrier
ATDT08453331121
0788605.123: HCF: ERROR: bad crc got=0x00, wanted=0x0a
NO CARRIER
--> No carrier!  Trying again
--> Sending ATDT08453331121
---> Waiting for carrier
ATDT08453331121

etc.  It continues with another bad crc error as before.  The
number at the beginning of the bad crc message is slightly
different each time, but otherwise this just carries on over
and over again, until I stop it with ctrl + C.

The variation of the above on the two "successful" days was
that after two or three bad crc messages, I got:

CONNECT 57600
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt
===  TNT-21  Easynet Dial Service  ===
Login:
--> Looks like a login prompt
--> Sending: chrisaustin
chrisaustin
Password:
-->  Looks like a password prompt
-->  Sending: (password)
EASYSTART
        Entering PPP Mode
        IP address is 212.134.228.204
        MTU is 1524
-->  looks like a welcome message
-->  starting pppd at Fri Aug 15 20:03:11 2003
-->  pid of pppd: 1315

My wvdial settings now are exactly as they were
on Fri Aug 15, but since then, all I get are the
bad crc messages, over and over again.  Whereas
on Fri Aug 15 I connected many times, and
sometimes the connection lasted over an hour.

I have also tried connecting to other ISPs.  With
some, the problem seems to be negotiation, but
there was one other with the same bad crc
problem, got=0x00, wanted=0x0a

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Best regards,
Chris Austin