[hcflinux] Debian - Installation and hcfpciconfig successful, but modem does nothing

Chris Austin chris at speakablelogic.com
Fri Sep 5 21:26:57 EDT 2003

Hi,

I now seem to have solved the problem described below,
by uninstalling a program called "klisa".  In fact a few
days after I first successfully got on the Internet from
Linux, a problem started with Linux spontaneously
trying to dial some website, without any instructions
from me.  This turned out to be caused by a program
called "diald".  I then started doing "killall diald", as
soon as I logged on to Linux, and I was then able to get
on the Internet from Linux on a second day.  But after
that the "bad crc" problem prevented me getting on,
as described below.  I noticed, in "top", that there were
multiple instances of a program called "klisa", which
were shown as "klisa <defunct>".  These "klisa"
processes were shown as being in the "zombie" state.
I checked out "klisa" in Package Manager, and it was
described as a program like "Network Neighbourhood".
I don't have a local network, so as an experiment, I tried
doing "killall diald", then "killall klisa", as soon as I
logged on to Linux.  I then found I could connect to
UK Online with no problems at all.  I have now
uninstalled both "diald" and "klisa", and now seem to
be able to connect to UK Online from Linux without
any problems whenever I want, and have seen no more
"crc error"s at all.

This is being sent from Mozilla Mail, running in
Linux.  Thanks very much, once again, for the
driver and the advice.

Best regards,
Chris Austin