[hcflinux] Re: [hsflinux-announce] Linuxant releases significantly enhanced Conexant HCF and HSF drivers

Daniel Caujolle-Bert segfault at club-internet.fr
Mon Sep 8 22:14:43 EDT 2003

Le lun 08/09/2003 à 22:54, Marc Boucher a écrit :
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:36:20PM +0200, Daniel Caujolle-Bert wrote:
> > >
> > > Because the scope of the project has grown beyond the capacity of a
> > > single volunteer and legal issues prevent us from using a classic
> > > open-source development model, the modem drivers are now available in
> > > two editions:
> > >
> > > - a free version (limited to 14.4kbps data), available at no cost. Please
> > > use it to test if your hardware is compatible.
> > >
> > > - a full version (with 56K and FAX), available for a modest price.
> > >

> > 	What a shame. Now that many people helps, report problems, send
> > patches, etc... they have to pay (even modest) to use a non limited
> > version of the driver. Nice to see were proprietary drivers can go...
>
> We tried the totally free approach and unfortunately it didn't work in
> this case. Because the modules are not entirely open-source
> due to legal restrictions, people barely sent any patches,
> instead mostly floading my personal mailbox with requests for
> improvements. So we ended up having to do all development;
> which is very costly and can only continue if we can pay salaries.

	Okay, but changing the policy is quite unfair, i can't imagine people
who contributes and now have to pay to use their modem at 56k.
	I just took a look at the download page, is it me or old version (full
speed for free) can't be grabbed ? If it's the case, i think it would be
nice and fair to let the latest one downloadable for anyone who
won't/can't pay.

--
73's de Daniel, F1RMB.

             -=- Daniel Caujolle-Bert -=- segfault at club-internet.fr -=-