[hcflinux] HCF modem problem

Mohammad Fattahian Mohammad.Fattahian at ebs.ir
Sat Sep 13 16:20:52 EDT 2003

Hi list

I have a PCI modem (Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp
(w/Handset) Modem (rev 01)) with Vendor ID: 127A and Device ID:1025

I’ve checked this by lspci command, and downloaded its RPM driver from
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/index.php?PHPSESSID=133d055da3aec2a13249
6ae9277510d6#news

This is my installation log:
-----------------

server:~ # rpm -i
/shares_static/apps/drivers/linux/hcf_modem/hcfpcimodem-0.98mbsibeta0211
0301-1.i386.rpm
To complete the installation and configuration of your HCF modem,
please run "hcfpciconfig" (or "/usr/sbin/hcfpciconfig")
server:~ # /usr/sbin/hcfpciconfig
Linux HCF controllerless modem drivers, version 0.98mbsibeta02110301

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HCF drivers for
Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hcfpci/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
              http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes]

DEVICE 127A:1025 MIGHT BE AN HSF MODEM! (both types exist for the same
ID)
So if it doesn't work with this driver, try the HSF one
available from http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Selected PCI VendorID=127A DeviceID=1025
and INF file /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.inf

Unable to determine country, defaulting to "USA"

Configuring modem for country: "USA"
You can change this setting later with the command "hcfpciconfig
--country"

HCF drivers have not been fully tested on SMP kernels.
Please report results to <hcflinux-bugs at mbsi.ca>

This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your
system:
  Kernel arch: i686-SMP
  Kernel version: linux-2.4.18-64GB-SMP

Trying to automatically re-compile the modules..
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running
kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.4.18-64GB-SMP/build] /usr/src/linux-2.4.18.SuSE

WARNING: the kernel version (2.4.18-4GB) defined in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-64GB-SMP/build/include/linux/version.h
does not match the currently running kernel (2.4.18-64GB-SMP)
The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path.
Please check that /lib/modules/2.4.18-64GB-SMP/build points to the right
tree.
The cause of this problem is usually a missing or misconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic
link).

However, proper /boot/vmlinuz.{autoconf.h,version.h} were found.
Would you like to try using them (in a temporary kernel tree)? [yes]yes

Re-compiling HCF modules for kernel 2.4.18-64GB-SMP, using source
directory
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18.SuSE-hcftmp15040. Please wait..
Re-compilation and installation of HCF modules succeeded.
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-64GB-SMP/misc/hcfpciosspec.o
depmod:         __out_of_line_bug

Your HCF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHCF0
or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

Now when I try to echo ATZ > /dev/modem or try to run wvdial it
generates an error:

Cannot open /dev/ttySHCF0: No such device

Any idea?

 Mohammad Fattahian

Eedé Business Solution