[hcflinux] connection speed

danny danny at danny-burke.net
Mon Mar 22 16:46:28 EST 2004

Hello all, first a thanks for the HCF drivers, I only installed Mandrake
on my Gateway pc last week, and was initially disapointed at being
unable to use my modem with it, so it was great to be able to get it
working by way of the downloads here. No major problems, a little bit of
playing around with links to /dev/modem, {I know virtually nothing about
Linux,...yet). A question though: the modem on my gateway box is called
a whitehorse hcf0270, and under windows I never got reported speeds
better than 28800 with it using a fairly local web based speed test
site: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~leslie/testpage/testpg56.htm (I am based
on the west coast of Ireland) now under linux its the same story. Are
there any ways to check if its the modem rather than my phone line
that's the problem?
thanks, Danny