[hcflinux] installation under smp kernel?

phil sheridanNONOSP at AMgrapevine.net
Mon Mar 22 16:46:28 EST 2004

I am running a dual pentium400 mb with redhat 7.3 and a dual boot to
either the 2.4.18-3 or the 2.4.18-3smp kernel. The modem is identified
as :
02:06.0 Serial controller: Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem
(rev 01)
-------------------------------------
127a:1002  PCI_ID of the PCI bus with vendor: 127a
1092:08d4  PCI_ID of Subsystem with vendor:   1092
The binary drivers installed and seem to work very well with the
2.4.18-3 kernel but failed during installation under the smp kernel. The
error message from the attempted smp installation is :

This package does not contan pre-built modules suitable for your system:
Distribution:RedHat-7.3
Kernel arch: i686smp
Kernel version: linux-2.4.18-3smp
Please obtain the appropriate variant of this package for your system or
try the generic RPM or tar version.

I tried installing the generic file from
"riptide-0.4mbsibeta02110301.tag.gz" and came up with the following
error in /tmp/ripconfig-buildlog.txt.:

rm -f *.o *.a
* Compiling int_mdl.c
* Compiling rp_cmdif.c
* Compiling linux.c
linux.c: In function `init_spinlock':
linux.c:123: structure has no member named `spinlock'
linux.c: In function `release_spinlock':
linux.c:133: structure has no member named `spinlock'
make: *** [linux.o] Error 1

I am somewhat of a newbie, and any help or tips on getting a working
installation under the smp kernel would be appreciated.