[hcflinux] Timeout problem

Danilo Massa danilo.massa at tin.it
Mon Mar 22 16:46:28 EST 2004

I have a problem using the hcfpci modem... the modem seems anwer to all
my queries but when I try to dial a number I got a timeout error.

The transcrispt that follow can describe it:

root at www /root]# wvdial TEST
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATX3
ATX3
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDP3397395621
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDP3397395621
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
(I have made a test with ATDT too with the same result)
... Also I am not able to hear any dialing sound (yes I have used the
L1M1 command )...

Some one has any idea?

My system is composed by:
Intel PIII 800 Mhz
RedHat Linux 2.4.18-24.8.0
hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100 (rebuilt from the src.rpm)

The output of listmodem.sh is:
MODEM #1:
  PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
     Vendor Id         : 14F1
     Device Id         : 1035
     Revision Id       : 1
     Sub Vendor Id     : 1467
     Sub Device Id     : D464

  DEDUCED INFORMATION:
     Vendor Name       : CONEXANT
     Device Name       : HCF P85 Data/Fax/Voice/Speakerphone
     Modem Type        : HCF
     Download Site     : http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/

The modem is sold in italy by digicom.it and is described as
WIN MODEM PCI V.92L
modem V.92, V.90 e 33600 bps - Bus PCI
  * fax speed up to 14400 bps
  * digital auto answer machine (with PC turned on)
  * error correction MNP4/V.42
  * data compression MNP5/V.42bis
  * international interface line (CTR21)
  * dial pulse and tone (DTMF)
  * flash eeprom updgradable (flash eprom)

Thanks in advance ...

--
Danilo Massa