[hcflinux] Re: hcf modem driver crashes my Gentoo 2.6.1 box

Richard Leonard richard at sooming.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 20:57:27 EST 2004

I've had this problem too, on Gentoo 2.6.0 and 2.6.1, using
hcfpcimodem-1.00lnxt04011900. and module-init-tools version 0.9.15-pre4
(though the same happens with version 3 also).

As far as I can tell, what seems to be going on is this. Modprobe loads the
first two modules in the dependency chain, hcfpciosspec and hcfpciengine.
However, when it comes to load hcfpciserial, it fails with the complaint that
hcfpcihw (the final module) has two unknown symbols, cnxthcf_cnxt_serial_add
and cnxthcf_cnxt_serial_remove. According
to /lib/modules/2.6.1-gentoo/modules.symbols, these are aliased to
hcfpciserial.  So the problem seems to be that hcfpcihw is trying to load
before hcfpciserial, on which it depends. insmod is able to insert the
modules so long as it's done in the correct order.

The inelegant kludge that I've come up with is to edit /etc/modules.d/hcfpci
and remove the final line, which reads:

probeall hcfpciserial hcfpcihw

Now, if I have to reboot, the modules load OK either with modprobe or when I
use a dialup utility which calls modprobe, like kppp.

I'm not too clear about this stuff, so if someone can explain it properly, I'd
be most grateful. Anyway, it works for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Hope this helps.

Richard