[hcflinux] Debian sarge/sid hcfpci install. Self-inflicted wounds. Ow.

larrymccarthy at spamcop.net larrymccarthy at spamcop.net
Sat Aug 14 20:28:29 EDT 2004

Thanks, Steve. The version I was using was:

ipanema:/home/lmm# ld -v
GNU ld version 2.14.90.0.7 20031029 Debian GNU/Linux

I upgraded to Debian's "unstable" version:
ipanema:/home/lmm# ld -v
GNU ld version 2.15

That got me further:
---------------
Setting up hcfpcimodem (1.00lnxt04011900full) ...
Conexant HCF controllerless PCI modem driver, version 1.00lnxt04011900full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:
        http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hcfpciconfig --dumpdiag".

No pre-built modules for: Debian-3.1 linux-2.6.3.w4l040310 i686

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.3.w4l040310/build]

WARNING: the kernel version (2.6.3) defined in
/lib/modules/2.6.3.w4l040310/build/include/linux/version.h
does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.3.w4l040310)
The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path.
Please check that /lib/modules/2.6.3.w4l040310/build points to the right tree.
The cause of this problem is usually a missing or misconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

Building modules for kernel 2.6.3, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.6.3.w4l040310/build. Please wait...
done.

ERROR: hcfpci driver not active
dpkg: error processing hcfpcimodem (--configure):
--------------
Jonathan from Support (working Saturday! Thanks, Jonathan!) directed me to the
newer version on the website (another D'Oh!). It behaved the same, but a t
least I got far enough to send an hcfdiag.txt. I'm sure it's all but solved.
I'll let you all know.

Thanks again Steve and Jonathan!
- Larry.

Quoting Steve Laverty <hcflinux_list at steve.nu>:

> It would seem that the version of ld you have does not support the
> switch --as-needed.  I don't know what the setup is in testing or
> unstable but if its anything like stable you may have a newer version
> installed already, or you could install one easily.  At least in stable
> you start with the version 2.95 of the compiler tools, named gcc-2.95,
> etc  and if you install the version 3 tools you get gcc-3.0, etc  the
> problem is all of the make files you use will just call gcc, etc and
> there are soft links in /usr/bin that point gcc to gcc-2.95, etc so the
> softlinks need to be redirected to use later compiler versions.  So I
> would guess either that is your problem or your strange configuration
> caused the configure script to beleive that it could use the --as-needed
> option on your system when in fact it cannot.  I do know that older
> versions of ld do not support --as-needed and that newer versions do, so
> if the above doesn't bring any sucess for you then perhaps just
> installing a newer version of ld temporarily or permanently could be
> your answer.
>
> Steve
>
> Larry McCarthy wrote:
<- snip ->