[hcflinux] How do I move the modem to the final motherboard?

George Blat georgeb at brd.com
Mon Feb 21 15:45:17 EST 2005

I develop systems using PC's and Linux (generally). Until now I did not
need a modem.

I develop the software on my AMD x86_64 using the excuse that it may
make me more productive,
and then deliver systems that normally don't need that processor speed,
so I use motherboards with a
Duron 1.6Ghz which is more than enough.

This time I did need a modem, and realized that Linux is really at a
disadvantage in that area. Fortuntely
I found Linuxant and bought a license, allowing me to come close to the
end of the development. Now comes
the problem: When I move the modem to the Duron system your software
does not honor the license.

This is a real problem, not only in the cost, but on the time lost.
Please let me know what to do. I believe that
your software should work wherever I move the modem. The modem I use is
out of production, so there is no
question of using your software in more than one system. I could not buy
the same modem even if I wanted to.
And next is the question of what will happen when we go to the future
kernel 2.8, which I suppose will exist some day.
Or any other change in the system.

Please let me know what you suggest. I already saw some other modems
that I would rather use, and not have to deal
with the problem that your software introduces.

Thanks,

George Blat

The AMDX64 license:

Product name: Modem driver license
E-mail address: georgeb at brd.com
Registration ID: 540E-4D38-0E0B
License key: 30-28-7A-16-80-8E

The new Registration ID (same modem)

Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHCF0
        Device instance: 0-PCI-127a:1002-122d:4002
        HW revision    : DP Part '71' Rev 'BA' Asic ID 0x210
        HW profile name: hcfpciv90
        Registration ID: C28E-9638-AA0B
        License owner  : georgeb at brd.com
        License key    : 30-28-7A-16-80-8E
        License status : FREE (max 14.4kbps data only)
        Current region : USA (T.35 code: 00B5)
: