[hcflinux] Soft modem in the ibook 2.2

Holger Kiskowski holger.ki at freenet.de
Wed Aug 17 12:11:43 EDT 2005

* Linuxant support (Jonathan) <support at linuxant.com> wrote:
> if you have received the error message 'not the one we are interested
> about' in your 'dmesg' when you try to use the HCF USB driver, it is
> quite possible that you have installed the right driver for your modem
> but you have hit a known issue with the driver.
[endianess problem in /usr/lib/hcfusbmodem/modules/imported/include/usbhalos.h]

I fixed the lines as suggested, and the "not the one we are interested
about" error message disappeared.

Now hcfusbconfig gives the following:

$ hcfusbconfig
Conexant HCF controllerless USB modem driver, version 1.06powerpcfull
Warning: existing driver modules found under:
Would you like to keep using them? [no]
No pre-built modules for: unknown-unknown linux- ppc

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your
running kernel?
Building modules for kernel, using source directory
/lib/modules/ Please wait...

ERROR: no device detected by hcfusb driver

Doesn't look too good ...?

Btw, the character devices seem to be installed properly in /dev (I am
using udev):

$ ls -l /dev/ttySHCFUSB0
crw-rw----  1 root tty 240, 64 Jul 26 14:43 /dev/ttySHCFUSB0

$ cat /dev/ttySHCFUSB0
cat: /dev/ttySHCFUSB0: Input/output error

(all commands executed as root)

Is there something I am fundamentally missing?

Thanks very much again,