[hcflinux] Fedora 2.6.13.x kernels and hcfpci modem

Alex F magamnak at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:05:11 EDT 2005

Hi there,

I am using the hcfpci modem drivers on Fedore Core 4 and I also run custom
kernels from the Fedora development branch.

I noticed from about 2.6.13-1.1542 onwards, the ASYNC_CALLOUT_ACTIVE
definition had been removed from the kernel's header files and that the 1.06
drivers stopped working - up to then, the 1.06 driver (with the patches
applied) compiled correctly.

Actually, it is not so much that the driver would not compile but that there
were 4 names that could nod be resolved at load time:

uart_register_port
uart_unregister_port
cnxthcf_cnxt_serial_remove
cnxthcf_cnxt_serial_add

I realise that the "official" kernel is the only one that really needs to be
supported, but I am curious to know whether these later 2.6.13 kernels are
being tracked and whether this issue is likely to be resolved in the near
future.

All I have been able to gather from web blogs is that serial callout related
code was being purged from the 2.6.x kernel... I have not been able to find
anything more specific at this stage.

I can provide debug dumps, but as I said I realise that it is impossible for
Linuxant to support every unofficial kernel out there so I am not expecting
an immediate solution!

alex

Dr Sándor Farkas, CPEng.
Voice: +61 (0)8 8300 4478