[hcflinux] Kernel panic on freshly-installed Fedora Core 6

Charles M. Register charlie at duke.edu
Sat Feb 10 18:09:37 EST 2007

I am seeing a kernel panic early in the boot process, during "Starting
udev".  This is immediately after installing hcfpcimodem (licensed
version) on a freshly installed Fedora Core 6 box.  The hcfpcimodem
drivers had been working fine on this same hardware for over a year
under Fedora Core 4.

To be safe, I booted in single user mode before installing the
hcfpcimodem driver.  There were no errors from the "rpm -iv" install
process other than the expected "taints kernel" message, but the system
will not reboot.  I had to boot from a FC6 rescue disk to uninstall
the hcfpcimodem drivers.  The problem is repeatable.

I have the output of hcfpciconfig --dumpdiag" ready to submit, but first
I'm hoping someone on the list will spot the obvious thing I've surely
overlooked.  Thanks.

            -- Charlie

Hardware: Dell Optiplex GX240 / Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev 08)
OS: Fedora Core 6 with i686 kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
HCF Driver: hcfpcimodem-1.11full_k2.6.19_1.2895.fc6-1fdr.i686.rpm

$ uname -a
Linux sarek 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:20 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--
-- Charles M. Register --
-- charlie at duke.edu ---