[hsflinux] Problems with hsfconfig

Mark Rowe bdash at gmx.net
Fri Apr 26 22:08:53 EDT 2002

Hello,

I've downloaded and installed 4.06.06.02mbsibeta02042200 of the HSF
softmodem driver RPM.  All goes well until I run /usr/sbin/hsfconfig.
After choosing to autodetect my hardware, selecting my country and linux
source build directory, it pauses for a few seconds before announcing:

ERROR: Module re-compilation and installation failed!
Please examine the log file "/tmp/hsfconfig-recomp.log.5073" to
determine why.

For some reason I also get this error when I tried to revert back to
several older versions of the drivers.  The full output of
/usr/sbin/hsfconfig is below, along with the contents of
/tmp/hsfconfig-recomp.log.5073.

Help would be appreciated as I'm stuck in Windows for now...

Mark Rowe

System Information
Mandrake 8.0 with default kernel 2.4.3-20mdk

Output of listmdm from Windows ME
=              RESULT OF MODEM QUERY                                =
NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1

MODEM #1:
    PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
       VENDOR ID              : 127A
       DEVICE ID              : 2005
       SUBVENDOR ID           : 127A
       SUBDEVICE ID           : 2005
       REVISION ID            : 01

    DEDUCED INFORMATION:
       VENDOR NAME            : ROCKWEL
       DEVICE NAME            : HSF DATA/FAX/VOICE/SPEAKERPHONE
       SUBVENDOR NAME         : UNKNOWN
       MODEM TYPE             : HSF
       WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT  : NO

# /usr/bin/hsfconfig
Linux HSF softmodem drivers, version 4.06.06.02mbsibeta02042200

Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes]
Selected PCI VendorID=127A DeviceID=2005
and INF file /etc/hsf/inf/linux_hsf.inf

Supported countries:

AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, BELGIUM, BULGARIA,
CANADA, CHINA, CROATIA, CZECH, DENMARK,
FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, HONG-KONG,
HUNGARY, ICELAND, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRELAND,
ISRAEL, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA, LUXEMBOURG,
MALAYSIA, MEXICO, NETHERLAND, NEW_ZEALAND, NORWAY,
PHILIPPINES, POLAND, PORTUGAL, RUSSIA, SINGAPORE,
SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA, SOUTH_AFRICA, SPAIN, SWEDEN,
SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN, THAILAND, TURKEY, UK,
UNITED_ARAB_EMIRATES, USA

Please enter your country name [NEW_ZEALAND]:
Configuring modem for country: "NEW_ZEALAND"
You can change this setting later with the command "hsfconfig --country"

No pre-built HSF modules are available for your exact kernel:
	linux-2.4.3-20mdk-i686-Mandrake-8.0-MODVERS

Assuming that a C compiler and proper kernel sources are present
on your system, we will now attempt to re-compile the modules.

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/build]
Re-compiling HSF modules for kernel 2.4.3-20mdk, using source directory
/lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/build. Please wait..

ERROR: Module re-compilation and installation failed!
Please examine the log file "/tmp/hsfconfig-recomp.log.5073" to
determine why.

# cat /tmp/hsfconfig-recomp.log.5073
rm -f *.o
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
rm -f *.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
make -C osspec all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
* Compiling osmemory.c
* Compiling osstring.c
* Compiling osdebug.c
* Compiling osfloat.c
* Compiling osstdio.c
* Compiling osmodule.c
* Compiling osnvm.c
* Compiling ostime.c
* Compiling linuxres.c
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
make: expand.c:489: allocated_variable_append: Assertion
`current_variable_set_list->next != 0' failed.
/usr/sbin/hsfconfig: line 120:  5182 Aborted                 make
"KERNELSRC=${KERNELSRC}" clean minstall