[hsflinux] Possible Instability of HSF Drivers - Mandrake 8.0, 8.1, 8.2

Patrick Simmons psimmons at flash.net
Fri May 3 23:42:29 EDT 2002

Though installing the HSF drivers for the Mandrake distribution did give me
access to my modem, my operating system has been crashing very
frequently, a la Windows.  Since I installed the driver immediately after I
installed Mandrake, I don't know if this is the driver's fault.  Most of the
time this occurs when there is a significant amount of data in the swap file.
After my computer froze solid five times in two days, usually during times of
heavy load, I decided to conduct a test.  I connected to the Internet with the
driver and then loaded my 128MB swap file with KOffice, OpenOffice, Mozilla, and
Konqueror - this made about 60-70MB of the swap file used, along with my 128MB
of RAM, then immediately logged out of KDE 2.2.2.  In both trials my computer
froze beyond rebooting with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.   I then repeated the experiment
without the modem in use.  In both cases my computer did not freeze.  I was
about to try logging out of KDE with the modem connected but with no
applications running, but this time, when I clicked the "Connect" button in
KPPP, my computer froze sounding a dial tone.  After these experiments, I am
making a conjecture that the HSF driver, at least the version for Mandrake
Linux, is not entirely stable.  Please tell me if I am correct, or if Mandrake
just sucks.  I'm currently using some old Conexant driver (not from this
project) for Kernel 2.2.17 to connect using Caldera, and it's working fine
except it disconnects when I start a big program, like StarOffice or Netscape.
Your 2.4 driver works much better, except it might be crashing my computer.
Please tell me what is the general consensus regarding the driver's stability.