[hsflinux] hsf drivers not working

Jordi Julia Casas jordi at essc.psu.edu
Fri May 24 12:24:30 EDT 2002

Hi there,

I'm trying to make the hsf drivers work under RedHat Linux 7.3. Of
course, there is no success, yet.
The output from the listmodem application is as follows:

=                  RESULT OF MODEM QUERY                    =

MODEM #1:
  PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
     Vendor Id         : 14F1
     Device Id         : 2013
     Revision Id       : 03
     Sub Vendor Id     : 155D
     Sub Device Id     : 6793

  DEDUCED INFORMATION:
     Vendor Name       : CONEXANT
     Device Name       : HSF Data/Fax
     Modem Type        : HSF
     Download Site     : http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/

so, apparently, the drivers should work fine. Indeed, the installation
process with the rpm binary did not complain at all. When running the
hsfconfig program I am told that there exists a precompiled driver,
so I tell the script to go ahead with that ... and a link is placed so
that

/dev/modem -> /dev/ttySHSF0

Then I configured  wvdial as follows,

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 57600
SetVolume = 2
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
[Dialer PSU]
Phone = 8632222
Password = my_passwd
Username = my_usrname
Stupid Mode = 1
Inherits = Modem0

So everything is set. I try to dial (I use the Redhat dialer) and a nice
window with the "Waiting ..." message appears in my monitor. And this
message stays there forever ... So it looks like wvdial doesn't like
what it
finds in /dev/modem.

If anyone got the HSF modem working under RedHat 7.3, please, tell me
how did you get that.

Thanks,

Jordi