[hsflinux] Re: Orrible bug continued (Can't figure out how to reply on thread!)

Ben Biggie bbiggie at brigden.eclipse.co.uk
Sun May 26 13:42:17 EDT 2002

>Your comments are appreciated and caused me to search for: a. What a
"Vaio" is (I now know) and b. what "AMR" is (the nearest possiblility
seems to be
Tony,

I take your point about your set up being different, but I continue to
believe there is a relevance. A quick point, then I'll explain why:
AMR = Audio Modem Riser - an Intel Spec, which I haven't read, but as I
understand, specifies a cut down bus for devices that basically need minimal
hardware (such as the Analogue to Digital conversion that a modem needs) to
the transfer data in an out of the sound hardware (in my case the AC97
capabilities of the VIA chipset). In your Compaq, the Connexant hardware is
"plugged" into the PCI bus directly - so you don't have a problem.

The reason why your config shares a problem with mine is that when you build
modules is that you have to be very careful to make sure the dependency maps
are being set up correctly. It is only by maintaining the correspondance
between symbols that a) modules know how to call  functions that aren't in
their particular file and b) the main part of the kernel knows which module
actually implements the function they require. Any mismatch and you'll get
the messages you're familiar with.

In my case, I couldn't even get the kernel installed because I needed an
initial ram disk and, having installed a set of modules in
/lib/modules/<kernel version> and then proceeding to try and use them
*before* installing the main kernel image that they corresponded to, I had a
mismatch - i.e I needed loop.o (compiled with AMD support) against a main
kernel (with Intel support). The result? missing symbol messages.

Hence my (kludgy) work around - maintain a tree for your orinal kernel and
one for the amd support - in my case - ls /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk and
/lib/modules/2.4.18-6amd being created from /usr/src/linux-2.4.18mdk and
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18amd.
Sorry to go into such pedantic detail. I post this partly in the hope
someone will propose a more elegant solution - but I have at least managed
to build and install an AMD optimised kernel.

Finally, apologies (to the list) because I suspect I'm going off topic -
maybe this should be on a kernel or Mandrake specific list.

Regards,
Ben