[hsflinux] Success story [compaq presario 714EA]

Daniele Pighin daniele at dcs.it
Mon May 27 18:52:13 EDT 2002

This is my modem, as the listmodem tool
(<http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/modemident.html>) sees it.

=                  RESULT OF MODEM QUERY                    =

MODEM #1:
  PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
     Vendor Id         : 14F1
     Device Id         : 2F00
     Revision Id       : 01
     Sub Vendor Id     : 0E11
     Sub Device Id     : 8D89

  DEDUCED INFORMATION:
     Vendor Name       : CONEXANT
     Device Name       : HSFi Data/Fax
     Modem Type        : HSF
     Download Site     : http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/

HSF drivers wouldn't work if I used the kernle shipped with Mandrake Linux
8.2, linux-2.4.18-6mdk (more precisely, I couldn't find a way to have that
kernel build as a modularized one, I had to recompile it as a monolithic
kernel).

The modules would compile, generating dozens of undefined references when
loaded and therefore not working at all.

The greatest thanks go to Tony Earnshaw, who suggested me to try using the
standard kernel.org 2.4.18 kernel.

So, I downloaded and patched it (although patching isn't related to the modem
working) and installed it.
Then i got hsflinmodem sources, compiled it and run hsfconfig .. that's it,
anything has gone fine.

So, I've lost almost a week of my life and part of my sanity due to Mandrake's
modified kernel, which can't compile.

The lesson is: the purest, the finest.

Thanks for your help

Daniele