[hsflinux] my modem just segmentations fault when I attempt toopen the device...

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Fri May 31 00:35:28 EDT 2002

Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> tor, 2002-05-30 kl. 00:31 skrev Jeff Wiegley, Ph.D.:
>
> > I've got a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop and it has an Actiontec
> > MD56ORD internal modem.  I think its a Conexant HSF based
> > device and I'ld love to get it working. (So would all the
> > other Inspiron owners I'm sure).
>
> I have a different notebook, Compaq Presario 700EA with RH 7.2, kernel
> 2.4.18. HSFi modem, everything works - otherwise you wouldn't be reading
> this.
>
> Offhand I can think of 3 possibilities for your problem, but I'm not the
> expert here.
>
> >       Subsystem: Conexant: Unknown device 5421
> >       Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
> >       I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
> >       I/O ports at dc00 [size=128]
>
> 1: IRQ 11 isn't normal for a modem, but can be negotiated automatically
> when the modules are loaded. Modems should use COM port / tty IRQs,
> generally 4 and 3. My machine suggests IRQ 11 for card bus and Ethernet.

Nonsense. It is a PCI device and can have any IRQ. My HSF modem has IRQ
10,
for example, but that depends on the PCI slot, BIOS settings, OS, phase
of
the moon, etc ...

Also generaly : Shared IRQs are a problem only if the drivers are broken
( or the
hardware is broken, which is always a pain in the ass ).

> > [root at localhost root]# ls -al /dev/ttySHSF0
> > crw-------    1 root     root     240,  64 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ttySHSF0
>
> 2: The permissions are wrong. Don't know why they should be, hsfconfig
> should have set them to 644. You can safely do this by hand, as root.
>
> 3: I don't like pre-release kernels. Is there any special reason why you
> are running 2.4.19? For example, latest iptables patches demand this,
> but if you don't have to run 2.4.19, get the 2.4.18 source from
> kernel.org (*NOT* Red Hat) and compile and install that (with its own

What is wrong with redhat kernels ?
As opposed to kernel.org kernels, which sometimes don't even compile,
redhat kernels are actually tested !