[hsflinux] almost success story

ahg at eng.cam.ac.uk ahg at eng.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 31 19:42:43 EDT 2002

Hi everyone,

The hsf drivers seem to work almost fine with the linmodem inside the
new VAIO GRX series laptops - thanks to Mark for all the effort.

Just a couple of minor issues:

(a) The drivers work fine on first use. If I then redial my private
    ISP (modem connected to my fibre-networked workstation in the
    office), with the kernel modules still loaded, I get a HANGUP a
    few seconds after a successful PPP negotiation. Backing off to a
    simple minicom connection, the HANGUP happens as soon as I push
    the bandwidth (eg. cat /etc/termcap) but not when typing into the
    text terminal. A successful workaround is to do "modprobe -r
    hsfserial" before redialing, then everything works fine.

(b) Throughput and latency seem fine when web browsing, but there's
    horribly high latency when typing into a text terminal, either
    with ppp or straight minicom. This doesn't happen with my PCMCIA
    modem.

I'd be extremely grateful for any ideas, especially pertaining to (b)!

Cheers,

Andrew