[hsflinux] ComCtrlOpen failed

Kai Groshert kai at groshert.de
Sun Jun 2 20:41:15 EDT 2002

Hi HSF-Users,

first a big thanks for writing this driver without which I wouldn't be
able to use my PCI modem card!

(well, in fact it doesn't really work yet, but maybe someone can point
me to some mistake I'm making...)

Installation of the package works fine (generic RPM converted to Debian
Package with Alien).

hsfconfig detects the modem as I would expect:

# hsfconfig

Linux HSF softmodem drivers, version 5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02060100
Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes]

Selected PCI VendorID=127A DeviceID=2014
and INF file /etc/hsf/inf/linux_hsf.inf

It then compiles/installs the modules (Kernel 2.2.20) without a problem.

After a reboot (just to be sure... :) I load the module with

# modprobe hsfserial

and get this in the log (dmesg):

Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
Adding Swap: 497972k swap-space (priority -1)
hsf_request_port: ComCtrlOpen failed, r=1!

Thats it, just the one last line. No preceding error.  :-(

Here's some info from /proc/pci:

  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Communication controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=127a. Device id=2014.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 3.  Master
Capable.  Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000000].
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe001].

The modem is also the only device on IRQ3, there's nothing sharing it
(serial ports are disabled in the BIOS because they are not needed
anyway)

Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong? I did not find anything
on this in the docs or the mailing list archives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kai

kai at groshert.de