[hsflinux] AC97 on Sony Vaio FX401

Ingo Kappler ingo.kappler at web.de
Tue Jun 4 12:56:32 EDT 2002

Hi, thats for information and maybe help. Thanks for the hope of a working
modem.

Concerning:
Linux: Modem Configuration for Sony-Vaio PCG FX401

system informations:

part of: "lspci"

00:07.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Modem Controller
(rev 30)

---

part of: "lspci -nv"

00:07.6 Class 0780: 1106:3068 (rev 30)
        Subsystem: 104d:80f6
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
        I/O ports at 1400 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
---

part of: "lspci -vv"

00:07.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Modem Controller
(rev 30)
        Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 80f6
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
---

Configuration:

Tried precompiled rpm-Package, which did not work.
So I uninstalled it.

Used *.tar.gz package, extracted it and installed as root with "make install".
Used "hsfconfig" to configure. Realized that the Vendors "PCI Device ID" is
not 3068 but 3038. Look above under "lspci -nv". So I manually configured
with "hsfconfig --hwtype".

The following is my example for configuration:

---

anke-vaio:/home/ingo/für-Ingo/Software/Modem-FX-401/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02060200
# hsfconfig --hwtype

Linux HSF softmodem drivers, version 5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02060200

WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HSF drivers for Linux.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hsf/LICENSE for details.

Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!
If you require assistance or need more information, go to:
              http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv

Should we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes] no
Is the modem presently installed in your system? [yes] no

Please enter your modem's PCI Vendor ID []: 1106

Please enter your modem's PCI Device ID []: 3038

1) /etc/hsf/inf/linux_athens.inf
2) /etc/hsf/inf/linux_hsf.inf
3) /etc/hsf/inf/linux_hsfi.inf
4) /etc/hsf/inf/linux_intel_smartmc.inf
5) /etc/hsf/inf/linux_smarthsf.inf
6) /etc/hsf/inf/linux_via_smartmc.inf
7) None of the above

Which INF file would you like to use with your HSF modem? (1-7) 6

Selected PCI VendorID=1106 DeviceID=3038
and INF file /etc/hsf/inf/linux_via_smartmc.inf

---

If I answer the question "Is the modem presently installed in your system?"
with yes, it does not find a communication controller. With this
configuration I still could not use the modem. Minicom says "No connection".
Maybe I did something wrong?

Thanks
Ingo Kappler