[hsflinux] uart and irq settings for /dev/ttySHSF0

Kaushik Ghose kghose at wam.umd.edu
Wed Jun 12 01:21:20 EDT 2002

Hi,
This refers to how the hsflinmodem works.

Basically I oculdn't get it to work on my system
HP 6630 Pavilion, connexant soft56K modem, SuSE 7.3, kernel 2.14.10-4GB
and want to understand the system a bit better

I'm guessing that by installing
the rpm for my kernel and linux distro I load certain modules (namely the
hsf modules) into the kernel and they work just like the winmodem software
does.

So in order for this to be transparent to the rest of the system
/dev/modem links to this "virtual device" so all info that would go to the
serial port connected to the physical modem goes to this "fake" device.

Now my question is how does the fake device know how to send on the
information to the physical modem ? DOn't we have to do any settings, or
does hsfconfig take care of all that ?

Also when I do setserial -G /dev/modem I get the reply uart: unknown

is this ok ?

The irq is set to 0, should I fiddle with this or is it a "dummy"

If I do lsmod, I can't see anything with hsf, should I ?

thanks
-kaushik