THANKS THANKS THANKS !Re: [hsflinux] uart and irq settings for /dev/ttySHSF0

Kaushik Ghose kghose at wam.umd.edu
Thu Jun 13 03:21:02 EDT 2002

Hi Marc and all you linmodem-ers,
can't thank you enough ! I got the modem to work !
Currently on my linux high for this week.

Ok Marc here's how I got your hsf driver working on my HP6630.

I have SuSE linux 7.3 (2.4.10-4GB kernel)
The machine is a HP 6630 pavilion desktop i810 chipset bought in 1999
Modem : HSF Connexant SoftK56 (vendor: 14f1, device : 2013)

I downloaded your rpm for SuSE for this kernel
The file name is hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02052600-1_suse73.i386.rpm
and installed it.

Then I added "pci=biosirq" to my /etc/lilo.conf file.
ran /sbin/lilo

Then I went into the BIOS during POST (by hitting F1) , went into
"advanced" and there is this funny OS TYPE setting, which I set to
"other" (was WIN98)

My modem init string turns out to be AT&FE, and the hangup string is ATH
(I think). The rest of the stuff is unchanged from the kppp defaults.
(You can get this from <your dos partition>/windows/inf/CNX2013.inf or
from the modem log on windows)

Now, only after I changd the BIOS OS option to "other" did all this work
(and ofcourse I didn't discover all of this in a linear fashion, rather a
random walk!). The only reason why I fiddled with this setting is that I
ran across a page where a post said doing this solved some other problem
with a PCI device.
Methinks I smell a windows conspiracy here... :)

I don't know if removing the "pci=biosirq" from lilo.conf will still let
the driver work, but I'll try that tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks a lot, now I have internet on my linux box and don't have
to reboot into windows everytime.

cheers !
-kaushik