[hsflinux] VAIO FX501 NO DIALTONE NO CARRIER

Michael McConnell soruk at eridani.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 13:43:02 EDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Roland Marcus Rutschmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read a lot about people getting their VAIO modem to work with the new
> hsfdriver. So I'd like to be one of them.
>
> I am using debian unstable, kernel-2.418 with acpi 0517 patch (I also tried
> the vanilla kernel) with alsa-modules and pcmcia-modules.
>
> hsfconfig works fine and compiles the modules. I can talk to the modem (AT -
> OK) in minicom but dialing gives me "NO DIALTONE". Using ATX3 as in the FAQ
> only gives me a NO CARRIER. Sometimes I also get another error. (I suspect it
> has something to do with the alsa-modules for the sound).

I've found it to be very hit-and-miss trying to get through... and there
doesn't seem to be any pattern to it...

(2.4.18, vanilla kernel)

When I connect sone speakers to my Vaio (and turn the volume RIGHT up) I've
found that if I can hear the dialtone then hear it send the tonedials then
it'll work...

Would be nice to get it talking properly to the sound card...

> During my trials I once got through to my answering machine at work but this
> was not reproduceble. The modem cable is taken of my home modem which works
> perfektly with my other computer.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell		           [Eridani Linux 6.3 Now!]
Eridani Linux  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat-based Linux CDROMs Available
Email: linux at eridani.co.uk  http://www.eridani.co.uk   Fax: +44-8701-600807
    "No. 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'" - Dr Who.