[hsflinux] Re: VAIO FX501 NO DIALTONE NO CARRIER

Helmut Neukirchen neukirchen at itm.mu-luebeck.de
Thu Jun 13 16:20:12 EDT 2002

> From: Roland Marcus Rutschmann <Roland.M.Rutschmann at uni-oldenburg.de>
> To: hsflinux at lists.mbsi.ca> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:22:48 +0200
> Subject: [hsflinux] VAIO FX501 NO DIALTONE NO CARRIER

> I read a lot about people getting their VAIO modem to work with the new
> hsfdriver. So I'd like to be one of them.
 >
> I am using debian unstable, kernel-2.418 with acpi 0517 patch (I also tried
> the vanilla kernel) with alsa-modules and pcmcia-modules.

I've nearly the same config for my FX502, but almost nothing as modules.
(Except for the modem :-)

> hsfconfig works fine and compiles the modules. I can talk to the modem (AT -
> OK) in minicom but dialing gives me "NO DIALTONE". Using ATX3 as in the FAQ
> only gives me a NO CARRIER. Sometimes I also get another error. (I suspect it
> has something to do with the alsa-modules for the sound).
>
> --- sample output of minicom ---
> ATZ
> OK
> atdt779010
> NO DIALTONE
> at
> OK
> atdt 779010ERROR: did not find a supported AC97 codec ! (0x4358:0x0)<3>
I don't know this sympton, but it's definitely not good!
Maybe, Marc knows the reason for this error?

> NO CARRIER
> ------
>
> During my trials I once got through to my answering machine at work but this
> was not reproduceble. The modem cable is taken of my home modem which works
> perfektly with my other computer.
>
> The output of hsfconfig --diag is here:
> http://neuro.psychologie.uni-oldenburg.de/~rutschmann/hsfdiag.txt

There I found:

+ cat /proc/modules
floppy                 45920   0 (autoclean)
parport_pc             25672   1 (autoclean)
lp                      6176   0 (autoclean)
parport                23296   1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
autofs4                 8580   5 (autoclean)
serial                 45472   0 (autoclean)
isa-pnp                28680   0 (autoclean) [serial]
rtc                     5592   0 (autoclean)

I would have expected to see the modem modules also listed!
Did you run Debian's modconf, in order to activate the modules?

bye,
Helmut
Helmut Neukirchen                   mailto:neukirchen at itm.mu-luebeck.de