[hsflinux] the newest driver does NOT work for kernel 2.4.19-pre10

Xiong Quanren xiong at netlab.uky.edu
Wed Jul 10 21:32:17 EDT 2002

On 10 Jul 2002, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

> ons, 2002-07-10 kl. 18:45 skrev Xiong Quanren:
>
> > I downloaded the hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02062500.tar.gz, compiled
> > it for my kernel, installed them using hsfconfig.
> > And I even got my modem to dial my ISP phone number, and exchanged
> > password.
>
> Looks as if the modem's working then.
I would say it partially worked.

> > But after that pppd died. the /var/log/messages says:
> > "modproble: Can't locate module irlan0
>
> According to my 6 cats (furry kind), this is what they use for their
> infra red drivers. The 4 of them that have infra red laptops, that is.
You are right. I am pretty sure that the hsf driver has a bug,which causes
it to try to load wrong the kernel module. Maybe because my kernel version
is too new and is incompatible with the hsf driver.

And there was a time the hsf driver tried to load tty-ldisc-3 module, then
I added "alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async" in the file /etc/modules.conf.
It did not complain that it could not find kernel modules anymore.
But the baud rate was still 0, and pppd died.

> So it doesn't have anything to do with the modem.
>
> > pppd: Baud rate for /dev/ttySHSF0 is 0; need explicit baud rate.
> > pppd: Exit.
>
> O.k., what software do you use to initiate pppd and manage your
> connection (like wvdial, kppp, rp3 etc. etc.), and what baud rate have
> you told it to use?
I tried rp3 included in Redhat7.2, using 460800bps, 115200bps, etc.
And tried to run pppd from commandline like "pppd call isp".

> > I am running redhat7.2, kernel 2.4.19-pre10, pppd version 2.4.1B
> > Anyone knows what's going on here
>
> No idea. But in as much as the reported baud rate for your configured
> modem is zero, and in as much as pppd is telling you it has to have an
> explicite baud rate, ...
Does the hsf driver work for you ? what linux and which version of
kernel are you running?

Thanks.
Xiong