[hsflinux] laptop turns itself off?

Thomas White herr.weiss at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 13 14:56:48 EDT 2002

Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Has anybody of you using the hsflinux modem driver noticed, that
> the laptop
> restarted itself during an internet connection? I had this for 2 times in
> the last days. I am not sure if this behaviour is caused by the
> acpi kernel
> patch or the hsf driver. Maybe it is something else but I need to find a
> starting point.

Yes - I'm having similar problems.  I find my computer doesn't quite get as
far as rebooting though: the screen goes blank and sometimes there's a
continuous, regular beep-beep sound coming from the speakers.  I think this
problem's known about though:
http://www.mbsi.ca/pipermail/hsflinux/2002q2/000259.html

I'm using a Sony Vaio PCG-FX401 with the acpi-20020709 patch (plus a small
bugfix patch from the ACPI mailing list to prevent the Kernel from panicing
at bootup).  My modem is the 1106:3068 type with the
hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02062500 driver.  Kernel is 2.4.18 vanilla
with only the ACPI patches added.  Distribution is Debian "Woody".

I had the exact same problem with the latest-but-one version of ACPI too.
Reading the mailing list archives came up with a few possible solutions but
none of them worked for me.
Thomas White
Downing College
Cambridge