[hsflinux] Modprobe segfaults on 'hsfserial' load

Sourav.Mandal at ikaran.com Sourav.Mandal at ikaran.com
Mon Jul 22 13:58:56 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've sent bug report to Marc concerning this matter,
but I was wondering if anyone on the list could give
me some ideas while he investigates.

I have an HSFi modem in my Compaq 2800T laptop.
hsfconfig identifies the chipset and builds the
modules without complaint.  hsfengine and hsfosspec
load without error.  However, when modprobe attempts
to load hsfserial at the end of the dependency chain,
it croaks.  The dump to dmesg has no helpful error
messages, unless one understands how to interpret
the stuff about memory registers.  Subsequently,
when I do an lsmod, i see that hsfserial is caught
in some funky state indicated as "(initializing)".
To clear the module I have to reboot; rmmod just
complains that the module is in use.

The module seems to die in the "hsf_serial_init"
routine; my naive attempts at pinpointing the
problem with printk statements have failed since
they don't seem to even execute.

Some basic info about my system:

* Gentoo Linux (installed from 1.2, since updated)

* Gentoo-patched 2.4.19 kernel sources (I've tried
turning off various fancy features, but it has no
effect).

* I had to comment out a line in the PCI driver to
get UDMA working with my hard disk, because it
kept complaining of "resource collisions" (IDE Chipset
is PIIX4U6, I think).

I can provide more info as requested.

Thanks,

Sourav