[hsflinux] Modem send or receive no data

Guillaume Blanc gblanc at daplxa140.saclay.cea.fr
Wed Jul 24 19:13:20 EDT 2002

Hello,

I have an Actiontec MD560 RD V92 MDC modem on a Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop.
Some clues showed me that the chipset may be a conexant one. Nevertheless
the vendor ID is 8086 and device ID is 2486. This seems enter in the HSF
softmodem section... I downloaded the driver from
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/downloads.html, for a mandrake 8.1,
and a kernel 2.4.8-26mdk :
hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02072100k2.4.8_26mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm.
Note that my kernel architecture is i686.

Installation works just fine. I even can connect (CONNECT string sent by
the modem) using kppp, but anything is transfered: No byte exchange in
both ways, so I cannot browse the web, neither telnet nor ftp. Ping does
not work either...
I'm connected but cannot do anything... So what's up?

If somebody have an idea...

Cheers,
                  Guillaume Blanc