[hsflinux] kernel requirements

Sidik Isani lksi at cfht.hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 24 16:19:43 EDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 06:11:47PM -0400, Sourav.Mandal at ikaran.com wrote:

> Sidil:
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, I want:
>
> * The same compiler used to compile the kernel to compile
> the modules.  Already doing that, since I'm dealing with
> my custom kernel.  You DO NOT mean I must use the same
> compiler to compile the kernel that was used to compile
> the binary-only bits of the driver, right?

  Right.  That doesn't _seem_ to matter as much.  Same with
  NVidia's driver, as long as the outer wrapper is compiled
  with the matching gcc version, the module seems to be usable.

> * Kmod turned off.  This will make life a bit more
> interesting, but worth a shot ...

  Not quite.  It seems that kmod needs to be ON (this was my problem
  for a while), or else some of the modules do not get loaded.
  But I don't want to use kmod, so I managed to work around it
  by loading hsf_basic2.o manually first.  I guess you could try
  both ways, but it isn't clear which modems need which modules.
  This information is possible buried inside the stuff which calls
  kmod.  So running with kmod is a safer bet.

> I am planning to revert to vanilla sources (2.4.18)
> and giving it another whirl ... if nothing else,
> it will help me get ACPI to be more functional.

  When I had ACPI running, it didn't affect the operation of my
  modem (though for other laptops, it may be necessary).  The
  vanilla 2.4.18 definitely worked for me this last time around.

Be seeing you,

- Sidik