[hsflinux] how can I cure a deaf and dumb modem?

Yehudi Levine y.k.levine at phys.uu.nl
Tue Aug 27 12:57:46 EDT 2002

Hi there,

I am running mandrake 8.2 on a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop supposedly equipped with a Actiontec MD56ORD V.92 MDC modem. It was identified as an HSF modem under WindowsXP, though it seems to be an unknown quantity under mandrake Linux.

I installed the latest version of the hsfmodem driver with no difficulties and got kppp to dial out and run the pppd daemon. And that's where the story ends. The modem does not react to any stimulus, but when I disconnect kppp, the computer crashes.

Am I jumping the gun by trying to run a V.92 modem with the current drivers, or am I doing something even more daring and stupid?
All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Yehudi Levine
Computational Biophysics, Debye Institute
Ornstein Laboratory
P.O. Box 80.000
3508 TA Utrecht
The Netherlands