[hsflinux] Setting the serial port using setserial: what's happening?

Gianmario Tamagnone gmario.tamagnone at libero.it
Tue Aug 27 18:00:57 EDT 2002

Hi forum! I,m a newbie for Linux, i have installed it (RedHat 7.3) on my box (AMD Athlon 1700) 2 months ago, and i'm trying to set my Rockwell International data/voice/fax Modem and make it working on Linux. I have just downloaded the new version (02082400k2.4.18_3-1rh.athlon.rpm) of hsflinmodem for Athlon architecture (as it shows command # rpm -q --qf '%ARCH\n' kernel) and i tried if my modem is ready to dial using minicom -s, and setting the serial port on /dev/ttySHSF0: WOW!  Thanks Marc! You're great! The modem is responding and it can dial too, only i must set ATX3 in the init string.Now i want to set my serial port: i login on the shell as root and i type # setserial -a /dev/ttySHSF0
the output is /dev/ttySHSF0 UART undefined PORT 0x0001 IRQ 0 (it 's polling?)
now i try typing # lspci -vv  and i get:
Communication controller Rockwell Internationa HCF 56K (IT' S WRONG! I HAVE AN HSF! I'M SURE!) IRQ 11 I/O at 0xd000
(my modem has ID=127A Device ID=1025: can be either hcf or hsf, but it's hsf!) What's happening? setserial and lspci do not match! While minicom is running I try also typing # cat /proc/interrupts and i get: IRQ 11 : hsf. Duh! Now i try to make all things working and I type:
# setserial /dev/ttySHSF0 irq 11 port 0xd000 uart 16550A skip_test
and i get the message: Cannot set serial info : Invalid argument.
Where's the mistake? I'm logged in as root and the sintax should be right. Someone can help me? Thank You!

I'm sorry for the bad English, but i'm from Italy!                                                            Gianmario Tamagnone