[hsflinux] [hcflinux] Disconnect->connect pppd 8200 inspiron

Matias lst at matiu.com.ar
Sun Aug 25 14:13:59 EDT 2002

Hi all!
   I just bought an Inspiron 8200, which comes with the
 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02)
 Modem: PCI device 8086:2486 (Intel Corp.) (rev 2).

   The driver wrok ok. I had a disconnection problem, but
I solved: I hope this can help someone:
   After been connected for 5 minutes, the connection hangs
up...pppd crash. I realize that my sound card and my modem
are sharing the same irq (11)  (they are the same chip, I
think), so I unload the drivers of the sound card, and now
It works!!
    Then I discovered that the problem was an volumen
set applet (for sawfish). It keeps the /dev/dsp device
open. Now I can have the sound modules loaded, at the same
time of been connected.
   OK, I hope his can be useful for somebody.

The problem that I still have is that I get connected (to
earthlink.com) at 28 or 26kps...from windoze I have
the same problem...I don't know if it is a line
problem or, if it is because this modem is a really
bad-cheap modem, or a combination of both...
I tired to force the V90 protocol, but I couldn't
solve it. Does in modem work with V44?

Thanks
Matias