[hsflinux] Actiontec MD560RD on Dell Inspiron 8200 - System Hangs on Disconnect

Chris Nitkin skatrek at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 19:46:58 EDT 2002

Hi
I'm a proud owner of a new Dell Inspiron 8200 (for college).  However, the
Actiontec MD560RD modem is giving me some problems.  I downloaded the
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/archive/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02082400/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02082400.tar.gz
package from the website, and installed it without a problem.  I configured it
for the USA and it created the symlink to /dev/modem.  It connects fine, but
whenever I disconnect, or when the connection times out and automatically
disconnects, the whole system freezes and I have to unplug the machine and
reboot.  Is this a problem with the drivers, or a known problem with this
particular modem, or is there a fix (please!)?

I'm running Debian 3.0r0 and I've uploaded the output of "cat /proc/pci",
"lspci -v", and /var/log/dmesg (if it's relevant) to
http://rain.prohosting.com/qmatrix1/cat,
http://rain.prohosting.com/qmatrix1/lspci, and
http://rain.prohosting.com/qmatrix1/dmesg (so as not to clutter up the email
and subsequent replies).