[hsflinux] how can I cure a deaf and dumb modem?

Andy Cooke andycooke at onetel.net.uk
Wed Aug 28 09:57:48 EDT 2002

hi there,

> I am running mandrake 8.2 on a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop supposedly
> equipped with a Actiontec MD56ORD V.92 MDC modem. It was identified as
> an HSF modem under WindowsXP, though it seems to be an unknown quantity
> under mandrake Linux.

I run redhat 7,2 on an Inspiron 8200 laptop - this has a "8086 - 2486"
modem device.  It's also some kind of Actiontec modem, though I haven't
yet discovered on Dell's support pages exactly which kind it is...

> I installed the latest version of the hsfmodem driver with no
> difficulties and got kppp to dial out and run the pppd daemon. And
> that's where the story ends. The modem does not react to any stimulus,
> but when I disconnect kppp, the computer crashes.

I installed the generic hsfmodem rpm

hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02072100-1.i386.rpm

as my kernel is 2.4.9-21.  I began using kppp.  It would dial out, run
the daemon, crash sometimes when kppp disconnected (or if the other end
of the line cuts the connection), but at least I was able to connect,
and could get internet access, etc.

I now use the "rp3" program to make connections - it's more reliable.

> Am I jumping the gun by trying to run a V.92 modem with the current
> drivers, or am I doing something even more daring and stupid?

no idea, except that getting a modem working is one hurdle, but then you
have to configure your computer for networking... I found the following
page useful if a bit too thorough!

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

hope this helps...

best wishes,