[hsflinux] Problems

David Mills djm at cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Sep 2 20:08:36 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm running SuSE Linux 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 1.6 GHz with 512 MB RAM.

I've been using the software for about a month now
(hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02083000.tar.gz and its 2 predecessors).
Things basically work.  I can send and receive email, browse the web and
download files.

However, with all these versions experience the same problem.  The line drops
out fairly often (much more so that with an external modem connected to the
same machine - which almost never drops connection).

Worse is virtually all attempts to send emails with attachments result in
little or no modem traffic, then a loss of response from the connection after
a few minutes (in all ways - the connection still appears up however), then
the connection drops, often leaving pppd running.  When pppd stops or is
killed the whole machine freezes (no response at keyboard or mouse) for about
4 minutes.  Then it comes back as normal.

Is there any reason for this?

In case it makes any difference I'm using kmail's smtp access to my ISP SMTP
server for mail sending.

Thanks,

David.