[Fwd: Re: [hsflinux] Problems]

Irv Cobb irvcobb at huntel.net
Tue Sep 3 18:30:30 EDT 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [hsflinux] Problems
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:57:51 -0500
From: Irv Cobb <irvcobb at huntel.net>
To: djm at cs.mu.oz.au

>I'm running SuSE Linux 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8200 1.6 GHz with 512 MB RAM.
>
>I've been using the software for about a month now
>(hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02083000.tar.gz and its 2 predecessors).
>Things basically work.  I can send and receive email, browse the web and
>download files.
>
>However, with all these versions experience the same problem.  The line drops
>out fairly often (much more so that with an external modem connected to the
>same machine - which almost never drops connection).
>
>Worse is virtually all attempts to send emails with attachments result in
>little or no modem traffic, then a loss of response from the connection after
>a few minutes (in all ways - the connection still appears up however), then
>the connection drops, often leaving pppd running.  When pppd stops or is
>killed the whole machine freezes (no response at keyboard or mouse) for about
>4 minutes.  Then it comes back as normal.
>
>Is there any reason for this?
>
>In case it makes any difference I'm using kmail's smtp access to my ISP SMTP
>server for mail sending.

For what it's worth, I have very similar problems using Mandrake 8.2,
Mozilla 1.0 and KDE3.03 on my homebuilt (Duron 900, VIA mainboard, 512
meg). Your description fits my situation exactly, except that I don't
get the system freeze.

Also may be pertinent is that fact that I don't seem to have these
problems using wget. Does this maybe point to a problem relating to X or
KDE?

Irv