[hsflinux] problems with conexant softmodem 56k 127A 2016 in linux

Blackbird hleonov at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Sep 12 20:23:10 EDT 2002

I have recently installed Linux Mandrake 8.2. kernel version 2.4.18-6mdk. I've also downloaded
and installed the driver from the www.mbsi.ca/ site, and even managed to connect the internet, using the kppp program.
On the next day, when I entered linux again, it wouldn't connect anymore, claiming that the modem
does not respond (when I try to query the modem). changing the devices either gives me the same result
or a "can't open modem" response.
I looked at /dev/ and saw I do have the modem,ttySHSF0, cuaHSF0 devices, but I'm not sure what their permissions are supposed to be.

buttom line: how on earth do I get this modem to respond and connect the net again?!

Thanks,
Hadas Leonov.