[hsflinux] HSFi success

Gideon N. Guillen linuxman at flash.net.ph
Thu Sep 19 10:23:44 EDT 2002

Hello!

I'm using a D-Link DFM-5261S PCI modem that uses a Conexant HSF 56k HSFi
Modem chipset with PCI ID 14f1:2f00. I'm using it on an Asus Motherboard
KT133 with an SB Live and GeForce4 MX. I'm using Red Hat Linux 7.3 with
SGI-XFS extensions. I'm glad to report that everything is working just fine.
I've been able to connect for hours on this modem and able to download a
hundred megs of data just to test the modem. ;)

I've been using an external modem for years but it broke down. :( I'm kinda
low on cash and don't have any spare modem so I decided to buy an
Win/LinModem that has support for Linux. I'm very skeptical of using a
LinModem because of the news that it's isn't as good as external modems. But
I was able to use the modm as soon as I compiled the kernel modules needed
for the HSF modem to work.

I think I'll still be acquiring an external modem someday because we still
don't have Fax support for the HSF driver. :(  (according to the archives).
Anyway, the other problem that I encountered is that before establishing a
modem connection, it detects the busy tone and network congestion tone
(kinda like the busy tone but at a faster pace) without any problems. But
after having a modem connection and then I dial-up again and I encounter a
busy tone again, the modem can't detect it. :( But it does have a
work-around. I just have to unload the HSF kernel modules and re-load 'em
again, and the busy tone and network congestion tone is detect again. So
far, this the only problem that I encounter, but everything else is just
fine with me. :)

      Gideon N. Guillen
      E-mail: linuxman at flash.net.ph

      PGP Public Keys: