[hsflinux] HSF worked originally but have ceased to function

Thomas White taw27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 12:20:20 EDT 2002

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:55:00 +0000
valedaemon at att.net wrote:

> Then the other day I installed LM 9.0 Final and again installed the
> hsf drivers. The first time I used it, everything again worked
> beautifully. Then I rebooted into Windows XP, connected from there,
> and a day later rebooted back into Linux. I tried to connect... and I
> received the error from KPPP "Sorry, the modem doesn't respond." I can
> hear the modem open the port and then immediately cut it off. I've ran
> "modprobe hsfserial", and I receive,

I doubt it's related to your problem, but I find that soft-rebooting
between Windows and Linux causes IRQ silliness, since the two systems
assign the IRQs differently.  For example, loading Windows, hibernating
it and booting into Linux and then soft-rebooting back into the
hibernated Windows state causes Windows to melt into a pile of jelly
(doesn't get far coming out of hibernation).  I don't know if it
works the other way round.  In any case, it's best to always power-cycle
the machine when changing OS.