[hsflinux] System hangs using latest hsf drivers...

Stween thestween at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 21:12:28 EDT 2002

 --- Sérgio Monteiro Basto <sergiomb at net.sapo.pt> wrote:
> kernel 2.5.34 ?
> we already have 2.5.40.

After you said that, I went to kernel.org and downloaded all the
patches to put me up to 2.5.40. And now hsfconfig fails, with the
following output :

-----------------
rm -f *.o *.a
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
rm -f *.o *.a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
* Compiling mod_osspec.c
make -C osspec all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
* Compiling osmemory.c
* Compiling osstring.c
* Compiling osdebug.c
* Compiling osfloat.c
* Compiling osstdio.c
* Compiling osmodule.c
* Compiling osnvm.c
* Compiling ostime.c
ostime.c: In function `cnxthsf_OsModemThreadSchedule':
ostime.c:167: warning: implicit declaration of function `queue_task'
ostime.c: In function `cnxthsf_mdmthrd':
ostime.c:239: structure has no member named `sigmask_lock'
ostime.c:256: structure has no member named `sigmask_lock'
ostime.c:268: warning: implicit declaration of function
`run_task_queue'
ostime.c:274: structure has no member named `sigmask_lock'
ostime.c:279: structure has no member named `sigmask_lock'
make[1]: *** [ostime.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/hsf/modules/osspec'
make: *** [osspec] Error 2
-----------------
So I'm back to using 2.5.34 for the moment. The system does not hang
for me when I try to connect after removing the modules from memory
*then* trying to connect, so it reloads them. It strikes me as strange,
but it seems to work for now.

> but 2.5.35 have new acpi subsystem and have some problems yet not
> solved
> with irq routing , I think if you have acpi enabled you can have
> problems with hsfmodem.

Well, for most of the kernel releases I believe they are keeping as up
to date with the acpi project as possible. There may still be some
problems with acpi and irq's, but I'm not experiencing any problems.
The 2.4.18 kernel I *was* using did have some troubles in that area,
and that part of the reason why I decided to start using an 'unstable'
kernel on a regular basis :)