[hsflinux] Re: HSF worked originally but have ceased to function

Thomas Johnson, Jr. valedaemon at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 7 05:30:26 EDT 2002

Kernel Version:
2.4.19

I originally used the binary source rpm of hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02090500,
and this is the version that worked one time. I then upgraded to the binary source rpm of
hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta020930000.

Modem specs:
Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem (rev 1)
IRQ 17
Master Capable. Latency=64
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memoet @ 0xfe1e0000 [0xfe1effff]
I/O 0xe8c0 [0xe8df]

When I performed hsfstop and then hsfconfig -nvram, no errors were produced. Neither were
there any when I performed modprobe hsfserial besides the silly tainted kernel warning. Same
goes for dmesg. The only error I do get comes when I monitor the messages log is

devfsd[117]: error calling: "symlink" in "GLOBAL",

and of course I don't even know if this is associated with the modem. I know my way around
the command line, but I have yet to custom compile my own kernels. :)

I went ahead and reinstalled Linux hoping that I would be able to connect at least one time, but
KPPP had other thoughts when it gave me the same error message, "Sorry the modem doesn't
respond."

I tried to get this on my own after my first round of messages from the list (thanks for the very
quick reponse!), but I am still stumped. Again, I greatly appreciate the help (past and future)!

-JJ