[hsflinux] ALI M5457 AC-Link modem

Marc Villegas Marc.Villegas at utc.fr
Thu Oct 24 17:22:23 EDT 2002

Marc Boucher wrote:

> Bonjour Marc,
>
> The ALI M5457 AC-Link modem in HP XE4500 notebooks is fully supported.

Bonjour,

and thank you for your quick answer.

> The problem you have experienced below is most likely due to a timing
> issue, which we hope to fix soon.

OK, I am testing the 1.7 GHz flavour of the HP XE4500 under Mandrake
Linux 9.0 (which is not supported by HP)

> When this happens, please try unloading the modules with "hsfstop"
> and reloading them again ("modprobe hsfserial") immediately afterwards.
>
> The second attempt should (hopefully) succeed.

I tried the tip but, no chance : same result and same log messages. I
did this several times and with several delays between the 'hsfstop' and
the 'modprobe' commands.

I contacted HP (France/Grenoble) and they will send me a special version
(HP tuned) of the Mandrake Linux 8.2 CDROM distribution. Then I will do
more tests under this new hp-tuned environment.
What I can say is that this particular hardware (XE4500) is not well
supported (and not only the ALI chipsets) by the current version of the
kernel (2.4.19) and the current version of XFree86 (4.2.1), but this is
another story...

Regards.
--
 Marc Villegas                           _/     _/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
 Universite de Technologie de Compiegne _/     _/    _/    _/