[hsflinux] ALI M5457 AC-Link modem

Marc Boucher marc at mbsi.ca
Thu Oct 24 17:33:45 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 04:22:23PM +0200, Marc Villegas wrote:
> Marc Boucher wrote:
> >
> > Bonjour Marc,
> >
> > The ALI M5457 AC-Link modem in HP XE4500 notebooks is fully supported.
> >

> Bonjour,
>
> and thank you for your quick answer.
>
> > The problem you have experienced below is most likely due to a timing
> > issue, which we hope to fix soon.
> >

> OK, I am testing the 1.7 GHz flavour of the HP XE4500 under Mandrake
> Linux 9.0 (which is not supported by HP)
>
> > When this happens, please try unloading the modules with "hsfstop"
> > and reloading them again ("modprobe hsfserial") immediately afterwards.
> >
> > The second attempt should (hopefully) succeed.
> >

> I tried the tip but, no chance : same result and same log messages. I
> did this several times and with several delays between the 'hsfstop' and
> the 'modprobe' commands.

weird; I have a very similar machine and it works fine.

> I contacted HP (France/Grenoble) and they will send me a special version
> (HP tuned) of the Mandrake Linux 8.2 CDROM distribution. Then I will do
> more tests under this new hp-tuned environment.
> What I can say is that this particular hardware (XE4500) is not well
> supported (and not only the ALI chipsets) by the current version of the
> kernel (2.4.19) and the current version of XFree86 (4.2.1), but this is
> another story...

HP is however trying to change the situation, by supporting our project
and through other efforts, so I believe that one can be optimistic
about the future ;-)

As soon as I am back in the office next week I will look into the
issue and hopefully fix it.

Marc