[hsflinux] CONEXANT 127A: 4311 taint the kernel errors

Thomas White taw27 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 27 11:27:12 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 05:09:23 -0600
Bruno Miranda <bjdesa at cyber.net.pk> wrote:

> Your HSF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0
> or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.
>
> [root at localhost bjdesa]# ls -l /dev/ttySHSF0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     240,  64 Oct 26 22:19 /dev/ttySHSF0

Sounds good so far.

> root at localhost bjdesa]# /sbin/modprobe hsfserial
> Warning: loading
> /usr/lib/hsf/modules/binaries/i686/RedHat/linux-2.4.18-14/hsfosspec.o
> will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Copyright (C) 1996-2001

The "tainted" message is not an error (depending on how you look at it,
I guess).  It's warning you that the licence for the modem driver is
incompatible with the Kernel's licence.  It looks like the module has
still loaded correctly, and you needn't worry.

> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 01:08.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:01.0
> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 01:09.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:1f.3
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 01:09.1

You might need to add ACPI to your kernel.  I'm not sure if the modem
driver works at all without ACPI (I had ACPI on my machine before I
started playing with my modem), but at this point you can start trying
to dial the modem up.

For the ACPI patch: http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi

Good luck...