[hsflinux] Re: Modem dies during file uploads?

Dan Engel dengel at integraltech.com
Tue Nov 12 09:00:13 EST 2002

Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>man, 2002-11-11 kl. 22:10 skrev Dan Engel:
>

>>Does anybody know whether this got fixed? (Or, was a fix attempted?)
>>The problem appears to still be there as of 5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02110301,
>>can anyone else verify this?
>>

>What problem? The memory corruption got fixed a while ago; wasn't your
>problem a kernel problem (or seemed like it, Daniel och Victoria, Nov.
>4th)?

Sorry, perhaps you have me confused with somebody?  The problem I'm
referring to is the "Modem dies during file uploads."  Although, I'm not
sure it's the same problem I'm seeing.  Here is the symptom:

When there is a lot of outbound data, the modem will eventually stop
transmitting.  It does continue to receive, however, and the modem
doesn't hang up unless one side or the other tells it to.  (e.g., if I
have lcp-echo options set on pppd, which will eventually bring the link
down and hang up).

The amount of data that goes through before the modem stops transmitting
varies.  Sometimes it's a few kbytes, but it may be as much as several
megabytes.

Assuming that this is the same problem described in the post from Gwyn
Morfey, 21 Oct, the reason I wondered if it was fixed is that Marc
posted a message on Oct 22 that he would look into the problem when he
returned to the office.  I haven't seen anything since then in the
ChangeLog indicating any activity on it.

I have verified the problem on version beta02110301.

Thanks,
-Dan