[hsflinux] system freezes on connect with new drivers/debian 3.0

James Stone stone1 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 23 08:41:23 EST 2002

Antonino Daplas wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 02:21, James Stone wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have been successfully running drivers for my modem on Mandrake 8.0
>>(device: 14f1 2013) but have recently installed Debian 3 (woody).. I
>>downloaded the latest tar.gz for the hsf linmodem drivers and compiled
>>and installed them, having already compiled and installed a new kernel
>>image and modules from the 2.4.18 source.
>>
>>The modem is recognised fine and dials with wvdial.. I can hear the
>>dialtone and the number dialing but when the sound stops, the computer
>>freezes and I am forced to do a hard reset.  There is no log recorded as
>>far as I can see in syslog.  The same thing happens whether I compile
>>ppp as part of the kernel or as a module.
>>
>>Any ideas what is going on?
>>

> Load the module, don't dial yet, then do a cat /proc/interrupts.  If hsf
> is sharing an IRQ with another device, this can cause system freezes.
> If it is sharing an IRQ, try moving your PCI devices around different
> slots until the modem device is not sharing an IRQ with any of your
> other devices.
>
> Theoretically, PCI devices can share IRQ lines, but reality is far from
> theory.
>
> Tony D.

Thanks for the suggestion.. unfortunately it isnt sharing interrupts.

I wonder if I am missing something from the kernel.. I will have another
look.. I have ppp_generic and ppp_async as modules.. what else do I
need?  It seems most odd as it is still working perfectly in Mandrake 8.
  And wvdial is recognising the modem and dialing.. just crashing before
connect. I think I will also see if it answers diagnostics (I think it
will).

James Stone