[hsflinux] Kernel Updates

Marc Boucher marc at mbsi.ca
Fri Nov 29 10:39:57 EST 2002

Recent Redhat kernels do work with the HSF drivers in general*.

Pre-build binary packages are not always available however
for the very latest kernel updates, like 2.4.18-18, when
these appear between driver releases.

In these cases users should use the "generic" packages with their
Redhat kernels. The "generic" packages require the compiler and kernel-source
packages to be present but other than that, they are pretty straightforward
to use.

Tony: please keep in mind that rebuilding the kernel is not a small
undertaking for new users..

Marc

* One big exception is if your machine, like Tony's, requires ACPI
for proper configuration of the modem hardware. In these cases
a custom kernel with the latest ACPI patches applied must be built.
This situation will hopefully be resolved soon as ACPI support is maturing
and most distributions plan to include it in their next release.